Pommes de terre dauphinoise


The first time I had this fabulously luxurious dish was on a fateful sunday afternoon, at one of my most favourtie pubs in Southampton, The Rockstone (seriosuly, if you are from Southampton, it is probably your favourite pub too, and if not, then it will be once you've tried their legendary burgers or the generously amazing sunday roasts...). And I have since been a fan of potato dauphinoise. So, when I wanted to eat something special tonight, here's what I decided to make, a creamy cheesy flavourful and delicious french delicacy pommes de terre dauphinois a.k.a. potato gratin dauphinois. 

I, of course, made my own alterations to the original recipe (Ah! The good ol' BBC recipes...) by adding more veggie goodness to incorporate healthy items into my daily consumption, and I ain't regretting nothing! 

So, here is my very own recipe for potato dauphinoise.


Ingredients:

  • 3 potatoes
  • 2 courgettes
  • 2 onions
  • 284 ml double cream
  • 284 ml milk
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon mixed herbs 
  • Lots of Cheese (at least 1 cup)
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced 

Procedure:


  • Preheat oven at 180 degree Celcius. Slice the potatoes, courgettes and the onions. Lay them on the baking dish into compact layers. Season with salt, pepper and herbs.

  • Heat a saucepan. Add milk, garlic and the cream and simmer in low-medium heat till it starts to thicken.

  • Pour the creamy sauce over the sliced and seasoned vegetables. Sprinkle the top with (generous amount of) grated cheese.


  • Cover with foil and pop into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove foil and bake for 20-30 more minutes until the top vegetable layer browns a bit.


  • Once done, set aside and let cool. Serve warm :)
Can be eaten as sides with meat or fish, or as mains with salad.


 

Comments