I have been wanting to make some granola bars for quite a while. there are times when I suddenly feel like I need something to munch on at odd hours, but don't want to ruin my appetite either... Other times I find myself craving for something sweet but don't want to eat dessert either. Also, after a session of workout or physical work, we all crave a little sugar. Which is why I think granola or protein bars are the perfect answer to all those moments when you want something to eat that would not kill your appetite either for the proper meal time... So, here's my home-made granola bar recipe with strawberry flavoured white chocolate topping. For a healthier option you can skip the chocolate layer all together.
1. 1 cup dates, mejdool or any variety you prefer
2. 1 cup or 200 g rolled oats
3. 1 cup or 200 g granola with nuts, muesli will also work.
4. 1 cup white cooking chocolate
5. 1/4th cup coconut oil
6. Strawberry essence (optional)
7. Pink food colouring (optional)
8. Rock or kosher salt to taste
1. First of all, gently roast the rolled oats for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, for a nice crispy texture.
2. Next, make a paste of dates in a blender. Mix the dates paste, oats and granola together. No sweeteners required as the dates themselves are quite sweet to start with. They also work great as binder.
Generally rice crisps work wonderfully to give a nice crispy taste. If you wish, add a cup of rice crisps along. Other cool ingredients can be nut butter, chia seeds, dried fruits, coconut flakes, coconut oil, and seeds.
3. Line a dish and spread the mixture. Pat it down flat and then freeze for about half an hour.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate layer. Melt the coconut oil and chocolate together, then add the strawberry essence and pink colouring, and mix well. The essence and colour is of course optional and you can use your own choice of flavouring. Also good options are dark or milk chocolates or yogurt. Layer the granola-date base with the chocolate and freeze for at least 1 hour.
5. Once set, remove from the freezer and then cut into bars.
Store in an air-tight container and keep refrigerated for up to 4 weeks. Now, enjoy your power snack whenever you get that "something-to-munch" feeling, or just want a sweet treat to snack on.