Homemade Pesto


I was introduced to pesto for the first time in UK and ever since, have preferred adding it to my pasta, especially linguini, every time I prepare it. I even add it to my bolognese sauce, stews and soups for the irresistible herby flavour.

I do have a lot of italian friends who, true to what you may have heard about their culinary skills, are excellent cooks. It never ceases to amaze and inspire me by how skilled they all, every last one of them, are in the kitchen. So, taking a page from my lovely italian friend's book, I decided to try and make my own pesto with fresh ingredients. I must say the result is outstanding as everything smells and tastes extra fresh compared to the store bought paste.

Ingredients:
1. Bunch of fresh basil
2. 2 large garlic cloves
3. 2 tablespoon of parmesan
4. 1 tablespoon pine nuts
5. 1/2 cup olive oil
6. Salt to taste

Combine the everything in a food processor and pulse, add oil little by little until satisfied with the smoothness. I personally prefer it more coarse than smooth, but if you like it smoother than keep adding more oil (if necessary) and blend until the desired consistency. Now either use immediately or store for 3-4 days in an air tight container and refrigerate. And there you have it! Simple and satisfying!


I used up mine in two goes, once immediately, and once after 2 days. Both the times, the taste was superb, but I absolutely love it fresh with linguini!



Comments