Onion Pokoras


Oh how I love pakoras (fritters)... In India my mom always used to make them for me, especially during the monsoon seasons. When it rained cats and dogs outside, a hot cup of assamese tea and mom made vegetable pakoras were all I needed to make my day! It is such an easy recipe and one can make pakoras out of almost any vegetable or even meat. I really love the ones made from onions, cruciferous vegetables, potatoes, and the ones with chicken. Mmmmm... Try them out and tell me how you like them ;)

Ingredients:

1. 2 cups of gram flour
2. 1 teaspoon of mixed spices
3. 1 whole red onion
4. 2 teaspoons of salt
5. Half a cup of water
6. Oil to fry
 

Step 1: Chop up the onion to small pieces.


Step 2: Mix the flour, spices, salt, and water together to a smooth paste. I added turmeric, mixed spices and paprika to give it some zang and flavour. Then add onions and mix well. 


Step 3: Now heat a frying pan and add oil in it. Once the oil is hot, add several blobs of paste using a teaspoo. In medium heat, first brown one side and then turn them over. Fry till they turn golden brown on all sides. It should take no more than 5-6 minutes tops.


Step 4: Take them out of a plate layered with tissue to soak up the oil. Meanwhile, prepare a nice cup of tea. Now, dip them in ketchup and enjoy hot!


Comments