Scallops and Leftover Cassarole Gravy Rissotto


Have you had days when you cooked a large meal just for yourself (or two), ended up with a lot of leftovers and didn't want to waste it? Well, of course you shouldn't when you can make awesome dishes out of those leftovers!

Two days ago I made a massive chicken cassarole. By the end of the meal a lot of gravy was left that I didn't want to waste. So I froze it to use later, although I wasn't sure about what to make with it. Also, it was only gravy left since I cleaned up the chicken :p

I thought, "pasta....!?" but I didn't really want to experiment. So I came up with a safe solution "risotto!" Honestly, this can NEVER go wrong, unless you burn your risotto, which I strongly advice DON'T! Anyway, here is my scallops rissotto recipe that I am quite happy with. Enjoy...

Main ingredients:


1. Scallops

 2. Leftover chicken casserole gravy

3. 2.5 cups Rice
4. 4-5 cups Boiling water
5. 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
6. 2 teaspoons Black pepper
7. Baby spinach leaves
8. Salt to taste
9. 1 large onion sliced
10. 1 cup 4-season beans chopped
11. Olive oil


Cooking Procedure:

Step 1: Just like any other rissotto I've ever made, I started by adding olive oil in a heated pot. Then added onion and fried it for a minute.

Step 2: Then I added the scallops and fried it till slightly golden brown.

Step 3: Time to add the rice, I stirred it for about a minute, then added the boiling water till the whole rice was under water. Then I covered and cooked it for about 5-6 minutes in medium heat. Btw, stirring occassionally is important to ensure no rice is sticking to the pot.

Step 4: After about 5 minutes I added the (thawed) gravy, spices, and some beans and spinach for my 5-a-day, while stirring to ensure it is not sticking in the bottom. Again, cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes more.


After that I checked if the rice was cooked and tender, then set it aside to cool for few minutes.

All done!

 

BON APPÉTIT!

I enjoyed mine with some spinach and tomato salad and flavoured orange water that I made with some orange slices and a bit of blackcurrent squash.

For more recipes on my flavoured water check here


Love always,


JB’s Kitchen


Comments