Sty pie!

 

Well, I couldn't find a better name but what else do I call it? The lamb one is called "Sheperd's pie", the beef one is called "Cottage pie" and "mud pie" is already taken so, the only name I could pull out for a pie with pork was "Sty pie"!

You see, it is common in India to find non-vegetarian folks who eat beef but not pork, pork but not beef, neither pork nor beef or both. I fall under the category who love pork but don't touch beef. I do like lamb but when it comes to a preference of meat, I would substitute every other meat in the world with pork in a heart beat!


So, here is my amazing recipe for one of the best shepherd's pie recipe (if I say so myself LOL!) I made, that was indeed a massive hit, but only with minced pork. Substitute the meat according to your preference. You'd need:

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons fennel,
500g minced pork, beef or lamb,
100g cut vegetables such as carrots, cauliflowers, mushrooms, beans, peas,
1 large onion, chopped,
1 cube meat stock,
1.5 cup water,
1/2 cup red wine, I used port,
Salt and pepper to taste,
Dash of olive oil, I used Hotel Chocolat's chilli and cocoa infused olive oil (mmmm, fancy!),
A sprinkle of italian herbs,
500g mashed potato,
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated.


Instructions:

  • Have the oven pre-heated at 200 degree Celsius. Meanwhile, heat a pot and add oil. My special hotel chocolat chilli-cocoa olive oil adds that extra requird zang of chilli and the sexy aroma of cocoa.
  • First, add fennel and fry until the sweet aroma fills the air in the kitchen completely.
  • Now add the chopped onions and fry till golden brown.
  • Add the mince meat and fry till it starts to slightly brown and most of the meat is sealed (turns from pink to white), add the salt and pepper at this stage.
  • Add the vegetables and cook some more.
  • Add the stock in hot water, and pour into the meat and cook for 20 minutes. You can cover it and let simmer in medium heat.
  • Next, add the wine and simmer until the broth is reduced.
  • Once cooked, pour it out in an oven proof dish and cover with mashed potato. Then add a generous layer of cheesy cheddar on top of the potatoes. 
  • Now put it in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Once ready, sprinkle some italian herb on the gorgeousness that is this pie.
Serve hot with side salad or boiled vegie goddness and enjoy!!!


With loads of porky love from...

JB’s Kitchen


Now enjoy…





Comments