2013 Trend recap


Logo tees and shouty slogans have always been my choice for tees and tops. They have been on the market for years on end and have NEVER ever gone out of Style. I have some DIY ideas for some too… Stay tuned for tutorials ;)




Anyway, as we have witnessed in our own timeline, sometimes the trends that are big in one era fade out the next decade with entry of newer trend. In 20s the sequins and diamond encrusted Gatsby outfits were in, then in 30s through 40s the long midi tea dresses and formal outfits were a hit. Then in 50s, polka dotted midi skaters and halters made the headlines. 60s and 70s saw the outbreak of bright coloured hippie outfits with frills and bell-bots… Crazy prints and satins… 80s saw the dawn on leggings, fishnet tights, tutu layered skirts, neon colours and minis… With Madonna's "Lucky star" song a perfect example of the era's fashion statement. Then 90s came, and so did denim and tartan. Oh! Do I still remember the rage back then. Animal prints were the craze, Velvets were sexy, Denim was hot and tartans were cool. From year 2000 everything changed, more skin shows and varieties were seen, people were bolder and wanted to experiment. And the old fashion trends were forgotten.

But sooner or later the old trends return and take us by storm once again… These trends have been, are and will be a show-stopper from time to time… Past year's fashion trend has been really interesting as it saw a massive variation from plain colours to crazy prints, pastels and monochromes to neon, patterns to denim…. 

Let us recap on the 2013's trend:

1. DENIM

Now the most prominent one that comes to my mind is denim… 



Denim jeans was never out of style… But there was time people LOVED denim shirts and jackets. This was not a very long ago as well. 90s was the era with characters from everyone's favourite tv show such as "Friends" all wore denim… Yup, back in those days, almost 15 years from now, denim was the craze. I remember we used to count in my secondary high school how many Denim jackets, shirts, jeans and skirts one owned. We loved them, we wore them… But we eventually forgot them with time, well not the jeans so much… I've ALWAYS loved and worn a good quality jeans. But the rest of it went slightly out of fashion until 2013 when we saw the return of denim outfits and boom, everyone's in love with it again :) 

It may not be surprising if it goes out of trend in the following few years' time… and then come right back to fashion about a decade from now ;)




2. GATSBY



Ever since the release of the 2012 blockbuster adaptation of the classic novel "The great Gatsby" the embellished trend is yet back under the spot light with excellent (but expensive) companies like Frock and Frill, doing a massive collection of 1920s flapper dress called "Zelda" inspired by the Carrie's wardrobe in the movie. And I am loving it!!!

Adorned with tassels and feathers, decorated with diamantès and sequins, full of lustre and class… Uff! If only I was born in that era instead :D


3. FLORALS


Floral tops, floral skirts, floral shorts, floral shirts… Floral dresses, floral trousers, floral bags, and floral shoes… Floral headbands, 3D florals, floral embellishments, floral prints… Gosh, there is just too much floral to handle!!!

Florals make me sooooo happy. I just cannot resist when I see some… So, there you go… Floral prints, although nothing new, seem to have made a prominent space in the wardrobe ever since more outfits in full floral prints have hit the runway and mainstream… Causing a stir, a stir that I approve of :)


4. Bare Midriff Exposè


So, I find this the sexiest way to show skin… Not the cleavage, not the butt-cheeks… But your sexy midriff… And if you have abs… Uff!! Lord save the poor soul who gazes upon your glory for they'll be smitten… :p They were the bee's knees during the 80s and they are back! 

Bare midriff is a way to look hot AND classy without overdoing the skin show… It is definitely a way forward…

Crop tops, bra lets with high-waisted trousers and skirts... Ooh la la! Well, being an Indian, it's not very uncommon for me to wear midriff baring outfits as sexy as sarees for formal and social occasions. So, there you go… Last year was a whole new revelation on the coolness of the style!!!


5. vERSATILE TARTAN



As a kid, we all had at least one outfit (this applies to folks born before 90s only)… We wore it to school or just as a regular outfit. I remember, I had a pair of tartan shorts with a flap in the front that gave it the illusion of a skirt from front but from the back you knew it was shorts. I think most people until recently had wrong notion that tartans, plaids, chequered prints/patterns are only used and fit for picnic spots, no offence to Dorothy… But... I mean WHAAAAAT? Plaids and tartans are cool!!!

A black leather jacket with tartan skirt is the real deal, and when you pair them up with a pair of black ankle boots… WOW factor reached!!! 



Btw, don't you just adore the houndstooth pattern? What do you think that is???



Well, don't know about you, but I for one am surely happy to have tartans back in fashion… Now I can pretend it's the early 90s again :D…


6. MONOCHROME BASICS




Oh our friendly black and white… Now, HOW CAN YOU EVER GO WRONG WITH THIS??? It's the most easiest combo ever and yet the most sexiest that will NEVER be dead and gone… It just cannot! It is THAT awesome… 

Seriously ladies, tell me how many times could you not decide what to wear for a party or day out and decided to play it safe with black and white? I mean, these two colours fit with EVERY colour in the world… You will never have to think twice!!! And just the two together… huh, like I even need to mention that they are PERRRRRFECT!

This is one fashion that I think never went out of style but I am glad that it got more recognition it deserves in the past year. 

YAY! for monochromes!!!


7.v SKIRTSuw

Be it mini, midi or maxi… Skater, A-line, pleated or frilled… Printed, checked, stripped, patterned or plain… Tiered, layered, laced or embellished… Tutus, tulips, balloons or peplum… Chiffon, silk, satin or cotton... Skirts are just fab!



Skirts are one of those piece of outfits that look good on every one. The trick is in finding the perfect one for you. And with so MANY varieties to choose from, you can never run out of choices and options :p

There are times I prefer a stylish, classy skirt over a dress for formal or casual party-out occasion. I can mix and match and have tons of fun with all the different styles I can create with just one skirt alone!

So, it is fantastic that people are appreciating it more since late 2012 and all throughout 2013 with lace skirts hitting the stalls and selling out like hot cakes.


8. Pastels


COME ON right???!!?!? How cool is that??? 


I LOVE PASTELS and they are THE BEST colours for winters and springs… Read all about my pastel post here. As a matter of fact I even did my own photo-shoot in my own collection of pastels since last year, check it out here.

I'm sure you've notices that nude has been the flavour of the year with celebrities wearing near naked illusional dresses:




Now you know why they all seem to love it… It just makes you look divine!!! 



9. LACE AND Leather

I am super glad that they hit the mainstream….

Lace alone: sexy sirens



Well if you are donned in black, you are one hot mama, but whites just make one look so angelic. I loveeeeee lace. In fact, I have almost 90% of my clothes either fully or partially adorned with lace. From crochet to ruffles, scalloped trims to full body jumpsuits, socks to undies… Even shoes and accessories! And I still can't get enough :)

I love lace shoes and dresses especially. As a matter of fact my favourite dress design that mom and I made was indeed a scallop trim full laced knee-length formal dress. Check out the number 2 design here.

Leather alone: diesel-punk vixen!!!



If lace was north pole, this is the ultimate south pole to lace's delicate look. Well, not a big fan of real leather (I am weirdly attached to animals although I am a non-vegetarian... Can't bear to wear a hide...) but imitation leather looks fab too, especially in black, brown and red! A whole leather outfit, hmm, now here is a "to do note" to self :) Glossy and edgy… This is the grunge factor I totally heart :D


But when you put the two together…



You know you look like a ROCKSTAR!!!

Laces or leathers individually never actually went out of fashion. However, 2013 saw the combination of the two put together. Dresses with lace tops and leather bottoms from primark were so freakin' tempting and fab I almost bought the whole store!!!! Last year in November, I even did a shoot for my Uni fashion Society that was themed "Leather and Lace," Check it out here.

Need I say more???


10. NEON



Here is a colour that you need to be careful of. They were the style of 80s with bright neon tights, tops and leotards on men and women alike with women also wearing the signature bright neon tutu skirts. But they were probably too bright for every occasion and didn't suit everyone's colour pallet.

However, since 2013 the rave returned with fashion industries producing all sorts of items in neon, outfits, jewellery, bags and shoes. I really love the neon lace collar necklaces!!!

Neon is a party colour and brings the sun-shine (or strobe lights rather) with you wherever you go. It is lively and bright, much like bolds, only brighter… Like, SHOCKING bright! However, I'm in favour of keeping it in moderation. What do you say?


11. BOLD STATEMENTS

This one is a real head-turner... Solid bright colours in deep and eye catchy shades that can really make you dazzle. Bold is plain bright colours like fuschia, yellow, red, orange, jade green, sky blue, purple, etc, without  any prints and patterns. The mare simplicity of the plainness makes it stand out (if I make any sense :p Sorry, I rant sometimes… Sounds better in my head at times XD).



Hot and conspicuous in the right way, I only wonder why it ever went OUT of fashion… It's so very 90s but yet so modern and chic. And when combined with bandage style now here is what defines "Oomph"…

I love bright colours (well, being an Indian you are meant to) and I also love the combination of two or more bold colours, just like the divas in the picture above, accompanied with gold accessories like solid gold belts, shoes and chunky collar necklaces… Sexy never got hotter! Okay, to be honest, red and orange were not really my choice of outfit of the day, I mean it could get too shocking and loud, and I don't do loud so well (in my honest opinion!). But with the right fabric and colour quantity it could work just right! Bold is best when you have bright shinny outfits made especially in silk or satin...

12. Fluff Stuff



Fluffy jumpers are the best inventions ever… Seriously, if I could give out medals of honour, I would give it to the person who came up with them babies. I am against using real fur but furry little animals are so soft and cuddly. So, right after the imitation furs, these are the most soft, squishy, fluffy and warm things EVER!!! This last winter I was kept warm well enough to feel comfy and stylish enough to keep my winters glamorous :)

For those who don't know what I am talking about, wear and tell me if I'm wrong... You won't be able to!! Fluffy jumpers have been all over the market since 2013. And people have been in love with them since, so much so that they are still one of the most sought after outfits even for the little bit of winter seasons we had in early 2014.

My suggestion, get ready for winter 2014 ;) you'll thank me later…


13. Accessories

Chunky necklaces: 



Can you believe how cool these are? I mean, I don't see how anyone would NOT like these cuties. I love them and I love to make them too! Do check out my DIY necklaces right here.

Chunky collar necklaces came out way back in 2012. I remember cause I bought a couple of them myself. But the hype wasn't there (at least among my friends and my locality) until last year when more and more chunky necklaces came out in stores. Now I even have a decent collection of my own with large gems to little aggregated chains…

Keep 'em coming!

Box clutches:



From Zara to New Look, you can find these funky compact clutches in all major to small fashion stores. So feminine yet so bossy! Can you say "Glamour" any better than this?

Whether in see-through galactic style plastic, or shiny metal, classic leather or jewel embellishments they are ALL the "accessories" you need for a fun night out.

14. Hampton and boyfriend jeans

Ooh, thank god for this, now I can wear my hubby's trousers without worries XD… Hampton trousers and boyfriend jeans are rather similar. They are both baggy-ish, comfy and casual day-out trousers I could ever wear. 

2013 spring saw the breakthrough of these killer outfits. The shabby look with chic touch... Here is a perfect spring/summer wear for me :) 

They make the casual look good!



Hampton trousers on the other hands, although similar to bf jeans, can be found in different fabrics and colours too. Florals are my favourites :)

15.  CUTOUTSx


Similar to midriff with only tiny sections cut out on dresses, tops and shirts… They show skin, but just enough to leave the best to imagination ;)




I love the side cut-outs especially as they can easily hide the ponch yet bare the lovely curves on the sides to give you a flattering shape, giving more svelte appearance… There are sleeve cut-outs too that have been in fashion for a long time now (like almost 10 years) and there are also back cut-outs that are becoming the rage since last year.

They give the edgy look a whole new meaning… Don't you just love yourself some edge? I know I do and I just love my cut-out dresses too ;)


***********

Well, this was my list of the trends from 2013 we saw and loved that may or may not have since been followed, depending on the seasons.

I hope you agreed with the list and enjoyed them…

Till next time…



hSTAY GLAMOROUSk


Comments