Stew, a dish made since the 8th century BC, is a combination of a little bit of solid and a little bit of liquid where vegetables or meats are cooked in broth and served in their own gravy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stew). It is always very refreshing and easy to make. I love stew when I'm hungry for a healthy balanced mix of meat and veggies, something light yet appropriately filling.
So I came up with this recipe that blends all sorts of tastes to suit my palette and gives me the protein I need with that special flavour of bacon (Mmmmm! Yummy bacon… A real man food :p).
Here is a very easy and delicious chicken and pancetta stew cooked together with some fresh, colourful vegetables.
What you need:
1 large aubergine
2-3 baby courgettes
2 large chicken breasts diced
1 cup pancetta diced small
1 cup Peas
Hand full of mushrooms halved
4 large juicy tomatoes (or 1 and a half can of chopped tomatoes)
1 teaspoon Italian herbs
1 carrot sliced
1 table spoon olive oil
1 large onion bulb
Pinch of Black pepper
Salt to taste
Dash of vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar (optional but tastes good)
2 spoons of Butter (or how much ever you want...)
What you need to do:
- Fry aubergine and set aside. I do this separately because aubergine add dark colour and a slight bitter taste to food if cooked together from the start.
- Fry courgettes and carrots in a dash of olive oil, add pancetta and let them light brown slightly. Mean while, you can blend tomatoes and onion into puree.
- Then add the tomato and onion puree (or blend) in to the frying pancetta vegetable mix. Also add a pinch of pepper, some sugar, vinegar and salt.
- When the puree starts boiling, add chicken and let them cook for 15-20 mins in medium heat till the meat is all cooked and tender.
- Add some herbs, peas and mushroom. Cook for another 5-6 min.
- Add the aubergine and cook for 5 mins more. Let them all boil. Melt two spoons of butter in it.
Stew's ready! Now, RELISH!!!!
Have fun making your own… :)
Much love from