Pav Bhaji (English version)

Now this right here is a very nostalgic dish for me. 


Prep time: 25-30minutes
Serves: 2-3 as sides 

Pav bhajis are my favourite indian street food. Of course you can make them at home too. Well, I prefer them less runny and with more potatoes hence I came up with this recipe of my own. Turned out kinda like the english post-christmas dish - "bubble and squeak" but with more spice and no left overs :p Hence, I call this recipe the English style pav bhaji :D

To be honest, I was actually going for a potato and vegetable mash concoction that my mom used to make as fillings for my sandwiches, parathas, masala dosa (south indian savoury crispy pancakes) or just salty snacks like chops, samosas (FYI my heart cringes every time I see a samosa here in UK cause the samosas here are NO WHERE NEAR the same as the real ones in India. They are just cheap and quick alternatives that compromises the taste), chaats and tikkis (cutlets) using spiced mashed potatoes. She would make them for my lunches while I was still in primary-secondary school (after that I went away to boarding school and ever since have been studying away from home). Well, after a long time away from home (18 months), I was really craving for some… So I decided to make my own :)


Everything you'd need:

1. 4-5 new potatoes
2. Handful of baby carrots
3. 1 large onion - chopped
4. 2 large tomatoes - chopped
5. 1 cup of chopped string beans
6. 1 spoon of minced garlic
7. Pinch of salt and pepper
8. Olive oil
9. 2 teaspoons of Pav bhaji masala (you should get them in your local Indian grocery stores). Alternatively, just add the spices you enjoy rather :)

Procedure:

Step 1: In a saucepan boil the potatoes and carrots together with a bit of salt till tender. Took mine about 15 minutes in medium heat. BTW, as a pro green environmentalist, I always cover my dishes while they cook, unless they require stirring. Once the potatoes and carrots are boiled, drain them and let cool for a bit and then mash them up well.

Step 2: Meanwhile, in a frying pan add a dash of olive oil and heat. Then throw in the garlic and onions and fry them till they turn golden brown. Mom used to add chopped green chillies too. I have opted for a mild version :)

Step 3: Now add the tomatoes and beans and cook for 15 minutes in medium heat occasionally stirring while tomatoes turn from firm to mushy to quite saucy. Sprinkle the pav bhaji masala and season with salt and pepper.

Step 4: Time to put them all together! Just add the mash into the sauce and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring the whole dish time and again. You can crank up the heat here a little. Now the mashed potato surface in contact with the pan should brown easily.

Step 5: Lastly, sprinkle some herbs and cook for last 1-2 minutes in high heat. You can add any of your fav. herbs like coriander, etc.

All done!



Now just eat it with butter buns, rolls or bread. 

Or enjoy it as a filling for your vegetarian sandwich, make it into hash browns, chops, cutlets, burger patties, or just stuff parathas, samosas and dosas with it.

Until next time


Love always,


JB’s Kitchen